Skip to main content

A. Thomas Bradbury papers

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0154M

Scope and Contents

Collection contains mostly news clippings with a few architectural drawings.

Dates

  • 1922 - 1968

Creator

Biographical / Historical

Abraham Thomas (A. Thomas) Bradbury born in Atlanta, Georgia to Abraham Bradbury (circa 1872 - 1955) and Hannah Marco (1871 - 1954). Thomas studied architecture at the Georgia School of Technology (Georgia Tech) in the 1920s While there he worked for Robert & Company, an Atlanta based firm with many government (state and national) building contracts. In the late 1920s, after receiving a certificate from Georgia Tech, Bradbury traveled to Florida, Brimingham, Alabama, and Chattanooga, Tennessee to work as an architect. But by 1930, Bradbury was back in Georgia to study law and was admitted to the Georgia Bar Association in 1933. In 1936 Bradbury married Janette Lane and in 1939 established his own architectural firm which chnged names over the years: 1939-1942 it was known as A. Bradbury, Architect, 1942 the name became Bradbury & Stockman, and by 1943 the firm became A. Thomas Bradbury and Associates.

Bradbury's focus on modern or modernism architecture can be seen in some of Georgia's government buildings the Agriculture Building (built in 1954) and the Georgia Department of Archives and History building on Capitol Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia (building started in 1962 and completed in 1965 and demolished in 2017). While Bradbury's love of modern architecture may be found through many Georgia government buildings, whe also focused on other styles of architecture, like the "new" Georgia Governor's Mansion located on West Paces Ferry Road, in Atlanta, Georgia. Additionally, Bradbury received the contracts to build schools around Fulton and DeKalb counties as well as apartment buildings.

A. Thomas Bradbury retired in 1978, selling his business and then died in Atlanta, Georgia on November 14, 1992.

Extent

1.75 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Title
A. Thomas Bradbury papers
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Georgia Archives Manuscript Collections Repository

Contact:
5800 Jonesboro Rd
Morrow GA 30214 United States